Learning How To Overcome Dental Anxiety
Are you one of the thousands of men and women who suffer from dental phobia? A vague apprehension that keeps you from dialing the phone to schedule a checkup, or a nauseous feeling at the thought of having a tooth drilled? Dental anxiety is real – the symptoms of dread, the long term results and the cost. Dr. Brad Dixon helps patients in the Gainesville area overcome anxiety with sedation dentistry.
The Real Cost of Dental Anxiety
Dental care is easy to ignore. You don't get a postcard asking if your breath smells bad. No one calls to ask if you have a toothache. You won't receive an email reminding you to have a cracked tooth checked. If you have dental anxiety, you probably do what you can at home – brush and floss daily – to keep your mouth healthy, but it's not enough. Even with good oral hygiene, the real cost of dental anxiety adds up.
- Appearance. Without professional cleaning and needed dental treatment, neglect leaves your teeth dingy and worse – you may develop significant discoloration, unsightly cavities and damaged or lost teeth.
- Self-esteem. How you see yourself when you look in the mirror plays a big role in your happiness and quality of life. Dental neglect steals a part of that from you.
- Social acceptance. It isn't necessarily kind or fair, but others will make judgments about you based on your oral condition; assumptions about responsibility, hygiene, health and lifestyle.
- Oral health. Even with great home care, fear of visiting a dentist can allow otherwise treatable conditions like tooth decay and gum disease to jeopardize your oral balance.
- Discomfort. A missing routine appointment can result in toothache and eventual urgent care that likely involves more discomfort than regular treatment.
- Inconvenience. When your dental health is in jeopardy, you can no longer avoid dental care. That means more trips to the dentist and more hours in the chair.
- Overall wellness. Undetected oral cancers and gum disease have ramifications far beyond your mouth. They can cost your health and even your life.
Eliminate Dental Anxiety with Sedation Dentistry In Gainesville
Don't worry – you aren't alone. When you become Dr. Dixon's patient, he becomes your committed partner in dental health. He helps even the most fearful patients get the care they need with a gentle touch and a little help from sedation dentistry. He offers:
- Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) for instant relaxation with no residual grogginess.
- Oral conscious sedation in a pill form as a calming solution before, during and immediately after treatment. Most patients report little recollection of their appointment with this method.
- NuCalm, a natural, non-narcotic relaxation technique that calms you for treatment and leaves you feeling refreshed afterward.